SMS chat allows you to view all inbound SMS over the past 60 days (to view older inbound SMS go to reports) and allows you to manage and continue the conversation in real-time.
You can access the SMS chat from two areas of your touchSMS account;
1. SMS Chat in the main menu on the left
2. SMS Chat shortcut link () at the top right of each page next to your name
Features of SMS chat explained;
- Search – you can search the SMS chat for conversations to a specific contact or number by entering the name or full number in the search field then clicking search. To cancel search, click – clear search.
- New – here you can start a new conversation with a number that does not appear in the inbound list. Simply click on the +New button and enter the number you want to SMS. This will open a conversation with the number you entered.
- ⋮ Icon – Click on the three vertical dots to mark all messages as read and clear all unread SMS badges.
- Inbound List – here you will find all the inbound SMS/conversations. To open a conversation, simply click on it. Conversations containing unread messages will appear with a green badge showing the number of unread messages contained within the conversation.
When you open a conversation, the inbound (blue) and outbound (grey) messages appear in the chat thread.
Here you will be able to;
- Icon– By clicking this icon you can add the recipient as a contact.
- From dropdown – Change the Sender ID that the SMS is sent from. By default, the last Sender ID that was used to communicate with the selected recipient will automatically populate the From: field.
- Message Content – Type your message here.
Note the Characters and Message Parts count are shown below this box. To learn more about message parts click here
- Send – once you have typed your message click the Send button to submit your message.
Things to note:
- If you send a campaign to a list/group of contacts and someone sends a reply, then the conversation that appears in the SMS Chat will relate only to that specific contact (i.e. sending a reply back will only go to the contact who sent you the response, not the entire contact list/group).
- Conversation threads will be constant for each contact, regardless of the number from which the outbound message was sent. This means that if you are sending via the shared numbers pool, even though the recipient will receive each message from a different number, their responses will always appear in the same conversation thread in the SMS Chat.
- If you send multiple messages to the same contact and get a response, you may not be able to see which message the response relates to as the thread will display in chronological order. Meaning if you send two SMS to a recipient and they respond to the first message after the second was sent, you will see the two outbound then the inbound SMS.