Merge SMS – Upload .csv file with Recipient Mobile Number
Quickly and easily import a .csv file with as many columns as you like. These columns will be converted to merge buttons to enable personalisation options for you to create an effective broadcast in seconds.
Sending to your imported list can be completed in a few short steps by using Merge SMS.
1. Navigate to SMS > Merge SMS
2. Confirm your country selection.
3. Browse and select your .csv file
4. Confirm your file layout;
- Data only– if your file does not contain a horizontal description row
- Description row – if your file contains a horizontal description row.
and click Next Step.
5. Step two shows you a preview of the first 10 lines of your .CSV file.
6. Using the Mobile Column drop down select which column contains mobile numbers, to compose your SMS click Continue.
Tip: Ensure that there are no dashes (-) separating the digits and that the number is the correct length in your .csv file. You will not have another opportunity to amend your .CSV file post upload.
7. Once your recipients have been loaded, confirm Campaign Name
Tip:Using the Campaign Name option is great when sending frequently. You will be able to quickly and easily identify your campaign when viewing your reports.
8. Select the Template drop down to choose a template you prepared earlier or compose your own SMS Message.
Tip: If you send the same type of message regularly, setting up templates is a great way to save time and avoid errors. Click here to find out how to Set Up SMS Templates.
9. Us the From drop-down to select your Sender ID
Allow Replies: Select Shared Number or a Virtual Number. Replies from these messages will be recorded in the Web Inbox and Report. You can elect for a copy of replies to be sent to your email.
Block Replies: Select a Sender ID from your verified list below Sender ID – No Replies. Recipients are not able to reply to these messages.
10. When sending via Merge SMS you will be able to insert data from your .csv files. Each column will become an Available Merge Field for message personalisation.
Tip:Insert First Name into your message using the available merge fields to add an element of personalisation to your message.
11. Type your message in the SMS Message text area, if you haven’t already selected a template.
Tip:One message allows up to 160 characters. touchSMS will allow for you to exceed this amount and the message will be received as one part but you will be charged 1 credit per 160 characters. Keep an eye on your character count below your message text box.
12. Click Send Campaign for your message to be sent immediately or select Schedule Campaign if you would like your message to be sent at a later time.
See article Scheduling Messages for details on how to use this function.
13. A pop-up window will appear. Agree to the Terms and Conditions then click Send Campaign.
It is very important that you adhere to the privacy rules. The three key steps you should follow are:
Consent – Only send commercial electronic messages with the addressee’s consent – either express or inferred consent
Identification – Include clear and accurate information about the person or business that is responsible for sending the commercial electronic message
Unsubscribe – Ensure that a functional unsubscribe facility is included in all your commercial electronic messages. Deal with unsubscribe requests promptly
Tip:It is important to take a moment to also double check that you are happy with the number of messages that are about to be sent.
Your message has now been sent and will arrive at the handset shortly.